Hochschule für Technik, Stuttgart
The real-time location system (RTLS) can be used to research on indoor positioning.
Ubisense is used in industry for real-time locating. It is based on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and it enables the location of objects that are static or in motion. While GPS can be used outdoor, other systems like Ubisense are needed if no line of sight to GPS-satellites is available. Students learn how to configure the system.
The entire system has a cellular structure, four base stations are required per cell. One cell can cover an area of 625 m2. An unlimited number of cells can be used. The system is used in intralogistics wherever the transparency of material flows is required. This is achieved through direct tracking of goods and indirectly through the recording of movements of transport aids.
Hochschule für Technik (HFT) Stuttgart
Physical. The lab is a server/client based network installation including a host-computer and 4 interconnected sensors that are spread in the Position Lab lecture room in building 2 of HFT.
Ubisense real-time location system (RTLS)
- – Sensors: 4 x Ethernet connected devices powered over Ethernet (POE) for indoors and outdoors usage
- – Timing Distribution Unit (TDU): rack-mountable device that provides precise timing synchronisation
- – TAGs: Several industrially-proven Tags
Mainly Information Logistics students (bachelor degree)
In the future also possibly:
- – Bachelor and Master students (developing, implementing, testing)
- – Research staff (research, lab management)
- – Ph.D. students (research)
- – University staff (research, teaching)
- – University staff (using, testing)
One User respectively one usergroup (2-3 persons)
- 1. A laser scanner shall be used to measure the position and tilt of the fixed sensors. This data has to be entered into the Ubisense system for precise location.
- 2. Integration with DigiLab4U, remote control for the laser scanner (security issue) and the Ubisense Sytem, integrated learning environment and analytics